Primary School Premium
England Netball welcomes the Government announcement of a £150m per year boost for sports coaching in Primary Schools. The plans, outlined by the Prime Minister are set to transform primary school sport thanks to the money to improve coaching for the youngest pupils and to inspire the Olympic and Paralympic stars of the future.
The money will go directly to schools, with a typical school receiving approximately £9,000 per year and can be used for a variety of purposes such as hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE, paying for professional development opportunities, running sport competitions or increasing participation in the school games.
England Netball wants to support Physical Education in Primary Schools because:
- We are the fastest growing female sport and want to get more young people into the game at a young age.
- This is a key age group to get young people involved in netball and many of them get their first experience of the game at school.
- We want to ensure that young people have a positive experience when taking part in netball and to support schools providing curricular, extra-curricular or competition opportunities.
- We have a focus to create more community opportunities for young people in primary schools (focus on years 5 and 6) and will link these to schools to enable young people to continue their participation in netball.
The Primary School Physical Education will benefit from working with England Netball because:
- We are committed to ensuring there are opportunities for young people to take part in Netball in school and the community.
- We have specific training, resources and equipment to support schools to offer High 5.
- We have development officers across the country to support schools to offer High 5 and link to community opportunities.
England Netball’s offer to support Physical Education in Primary Schools is:
- FREE Affiliation for all Primary Schools in England.
- FREE downloadable resources and introductory videos.
- Access to our High 5 Workshop.
- High 5 School Games competition in the majority of county areas.
- High 5 equipment available through our shop I Heart Netball Store
Primary Schools around England are already using the premium to improve netball within schools by:
- Improving the skills of teachers to improve the quality of sport lessons.
- Investing in quality coaching.
- Providing more opportunities for pupils to take part in inter-school competitions.
- Offering more after-school clubs.
- Purchasing better equipment.
- Improving sport teaching for children with special educational needs.
- Delivering holiday and weekend activities.